Backup your files:
Simply plug in a USB thumb drive and copy your documents over.
Backup the entire RPi Image File
It's a good idea to back up the entire image file from time to time.
- You must use the Win32DiskImager or similar program to backup the image.
- If you have used the expand boot partition to fill SD card utility
then the image file to be saved will now be the size of the entire SD
Be sure the drive you are going to save the image to has enough free space before proceeding.
- The few files that you can see in the root directory of the SD card
are not the entire image and will not help you if you need to restore
the entire image.
- Install your RPi SD card into the card reader on your PC and note the drive letter assigned.
- Run the Win32DiskImager program.
- Make sure the Device field contains the drive letter of your SD card.
- Type the path and filename you want to use into the Image File
field OR use the file button and 'drill down' to the folder you want
and type the filename. The filename you choose must have the .img
extension. It's a good idea to include the date or some kind of
sequence number as part of the filename, for example:
- Click on READ. Backup will take quite some time depending on the size of your SD card.
- The saved image can now used to restore your image to the SD card later or to another SD card.